Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Cookbooks


The Chicago Tribune lists 20 Cookbooks every cook should own and I have two of them: Joy of Cooking and How to cook Everything. I'm asking for a couple of new cookbooks for Christmas, an Art Smith book and Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles cookbook. Thinking about it I wouldn't mind picking up one of Nigella's cookbooks and there are a few from that list I should investigate, such as the James Beard and one of the Julia Child. Also, Ruhlman's new book has me intrigued, but I will have to take a look at it.

The purpose of these lists is to generate some controversy, or in this case some conversation. One guy that's underrated and it's probably do to some controversy that surrounded him is Jeff Smith, the Frugal Gourmet. When I was growing up his show was on at my house ever Saturday afternoon. My parents had all his cookbooks, in some cases multiple copies because I ended up with an extra. I've looked through his book recently, but until I saw that list and I thought about him I didn't realize he passed away a few years ago. Anybody starting out I would recommend checking his books out.

I got both the Bittman books for Christmas last year. Prior to that it had been awhile since I bought one. Even now I find my self reading the Food Network and Epicurious sites and printing out recipes. I'm at the point where I need a binder and three-hole punch to keep them organized.

What's your favorite cookbook?

No comments: