Sunday, January 20, 2008

Tuna casserole

This past week I was yearning for some true comfort food. I was trying to figure out what I wanted and decided on the tuna casserole my mother used to make for us. She would only make it on nights when my dad was working late because he couldn't stand it. But I remember it being one of my all-time favorites. It's also pretty simple, but not good for you at all.

3 TBLSP butter
3 TBLSP flour
3 cups of milk
Half a brick of Velvetta cheese (I believe that's half a pound)
1 pound of egg noodles
2 cans of tuna in water
1 cup of crumpled potato chips

Bring water to boil for the egg noodles. Preheat the oven to 350 deggrees.

In a sauce pan melt the butter and then add the flour to make a roux. Gradually add the milk while mixing with a whisk. One the milk had been combined with the roux starting ass the Velvetta. I slice it up and slowly added it making sure it was mixed propely. Add a bit of salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, cook the noodles until al dente, not quite done. Darin the noodles and put into a mixing bowl. Drain the tuna and add to the egg noodles. Pour the cheese and combine.

Place the mixture into a casserole dish and cover with crushed potato chips. Bake for 30 minutes.

There is a similar version of this that's done with rice instead of egg noodles, but I can't remember if you cook the rice before (I would think you would) and as soon as my mom gets home I'll find out and post an update. Again. I forgot to take a picture, but will try to remember starting with anything I'm cooking this week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, you cook the rice before you add it to the casserole. Duh,

Love m.