Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Chocolate panna cotta layer cake

(photo by: Con Poulos, courtesy of Bon Appetit)


When I saw this recipe my mouth started to water. I had been wanting to make a panna cotta for awhile and this recipe looked great. I had a feeling it was going to push my baking skills and it did, but the results were fantastic.

I made if for Mother's Day to bring to my parents house. The cake came together pretty simply, it was the panna cotta that was a bit trickier. Even as it cooled it was still pretty thin. After pouring the mixture over the first layer of the cake I put it in the freezer for about an hour. The I put the second layer and covered again in the panna cotta. I let it sit for another couple of hours in the freezer and then covered and kept in the freezer until Sunday morning (I made the cake on Friday).

Since I didn't have a good way to transport the cake to the suburbs I didn't do the chocolate bands so my cake didn't look as nice as the one posted above. But it was quite tasty. Everything was very light and it had a great flavor to it. Next time, as long as I don't have to transport, I'll make the chocolate bands.

No comments: