Friday, July 11, 2008

Fajitas

It was a muggy and awful day yesterday so I didn't want to cook much, funny how that didn't work. Inspired by the Piña Colada I decided too make fajitas. While not Puerto Rican, it's fit the general theme.

I had some chicken breasts and when I went to the store to pick up some stuff for the Piña Coladas I decided to pick up some shrimp to try something different. Overall, fajitas are pretty simple, here's what you need and what I did.

Olive oil
3 chicken breasts
1/2 pound uncooked shrimp
1 large onion sliced
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
2 TBLSP ground cumin
2 TSP cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
Flour tortillas

I bough deveined, uncooked shrimp with the shells on so the first thing I did was took the shells off the shrimp. After that I tossed them with some cayenne and cumin and set aside.

Then I sliced up all the veggies and placed them in two different pans, one of the chicken and one for the shrimp and started cooking them down. I then sliced the chicken into strips and placed it in one of the pans and seasoned with the cumin and cayenne. I pretty much cooked the chicken all the way before even starting the shrimp because I knew they would take only a couple of minutes to cook.

I served on flour tortillas with sour cream and a little salsa. They turned out well.

As for the Piña Coladas, it took me a couple before I got the hang of it, but the end result was fantastic.

No comments: