Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Chocolate raspberry ice cream


The ice cream maker might be a very dangerous toy. Made my first batch last night and all I can say is wow. I made one of the easier recipes and it had a richness and depth that I haven't had with store bought ice cream in a long time if ever. I'm almost afraid of what the more complex, richer recipes will bring.

This recipe if from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz.

1.5 cups of heavy cream
5 TBLSP of unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder,
2/3 cups of sugar
2 cups of fresh or frozen raspberries (I used frozen because the fresh ones at the store looked like crap).

Whisk together, the cream, cocoa powder and sugar in medium saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a full boil and then remove from heat and add raspberries, let sit for 10 minutes.

Add mixture to a food processor or blender (I used a blender) and puree. Optional: then press the mixture through a strainer to get rid of some of the seeds.

I then places the mixture into an ice bath to hep cool it down. For this type of ice cream this is another optional step. At this point you could just place in a container in the fridge and let cool down completely.

I let it sit in the fridge for about three hours before churning. It took a little more than 10 minutes before it was ready and at that point it was the consistency of soft serve and you could eat it then. I placed it in an air tight container and put it in the freezer for about 45 minutes to firm up a bit more. This made a small batch, enough for two or three people.

No comments: