Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Pasta sauce

I had a serious craving for pasta this week and decided to to make Bolognese, well sort of. There is no one way to make Bolognese, the one thing that can be agreed upon is there's tomatoes, onions, herbs and meat, some use pork other use beef. Whether to use wine, milk and some other permutations depends on who you talk to.

I wanted to do something a little different than my usual sauce. My first thought was to use Italian sausage add some beef short ribs, sear them and then let them cook in the tomato sauce with the other goodies. But the short ribs looked like crap and pork was on sale so I decided to go with a two-pound pork roast.

I did a little salt and pepper, seared it about four or five minutes a side and then removed it from the dutch oven. Then I cooked the onions and everything else like usual. After adding the tomato sauce I place the pork back in the pot and let it cook for a couple of hours.

Then I took it out of the oven and let it cool/rest for a bit. I was hoping to shred it and put it back in the pot, but it wasn't at the shredding point so I sliced it and then cut it into stripes and then added it back to the sauce.

It was excellent, the pork had the great tomato, garlic flavor and added some heft to the sauce. I hadn't made sauce like this since last year and it was a nice treat. I tossed the sauce with a whole wheat spaggeti and grated some fresh parm over the top. Alas, I forgot to take a picture.

No comments: