Tuesday, November 20, 2007

My potential Thanksgiving menu

One day, I don't know if it'll be soon, I expect to be hosting a Thanksgiving dinner
for family. It's just a matter of time. I'm already hosting a Thanksgiving/Christmas style meal so it may happen sooner than later. But recently I started thinking of what I would serve.

This past weekend as I was watching the Food Network Challenge Ultimate Thanksgiving Feast. Everything cooked in this show sounded and looked really good, though my major issue was only one chef roasted a turkey. The rest butchered and did various things to it.

Maybe I am too much of a traditionalist but you have to have a roast turkey. You can grill it, deep fry it or put it in the oven but don't butcher the bird and do different things for Thanksgiving. If you want to do that at another time of you go nuts (though how often does one cook turkey outside of Thanksgiving or Christmas?).

But anyway, to my menu:

Roast turkey w/ stuffing in the bird.
I debated this one. I love to grill, and wouldn't completely rule it out, but for the first time I would probably do a traditional bird with my father's stuffing recipe. He sautees some celery, onions and mushrooms and the mixes it with some stuffing mix and chicken stock and various herbs and spices. He puts some in the bird, and that's the best stuff, and the cooks some on the side. Now I know there's a big trend toward sausage stuffing and I am hardly ever one to turn down pork sausage, but this doesn't do it for me for a traditional Thanksgiving fare. I have had it other times though and it can be quite good.

Mashed potatoes.
We've had this conversation.

Sweet potatoes and cranberries
I'm not a big fan of either but I know others are so I would either cook them traditionally or be open to suggestion. But the cranberries would not be from a can.

Brussels Sprouts.
My aunt makes some really good ones with bread crumbs, garlic and olive oil. But I really want to Brussels sprouts with pancetta.

Cauliflower gratin

Corn
This has been a staple on family Thanksgiving tables for as long as I can remember. I would like to do more than just put a can of corn on the table but I'm not sure how the family would respond.

Dessert:
Pumpkin pie.
My moms' recipe

Chocolate cake.
I'll let you know how the one Rory and I turns out.

Any thoughts? I know it's pretty safe and traditional but I don't think Thanksgiving it a time to get too risky. What's on your Thanksgiving menu?

No comments: