Friday, November 23, 2007

Bacon-wrapped meatloaf

I need to stop wrapping things in bacon or the few readers I have will think I am a one-trick pony and Rory will accuse me of trying to make her fat. So this will be the last time I wrap anything in bacon for awhile, though I will still be cooking with it.

I was cooking for Rory and her friend Christy Wednesday evening. Originally I was just going to roast a chicken but since we were having turkey the next day I decided to do something else. I had only made meatloaf once before and enjoyed it. And when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to make it. I didn't use veal, but a combination of ground beef and pork sausage. I also didn't use heavy cream but 2% milk.

It turned out really well. I had great flavor and was very moist. Typically I'll use some ketchup with meatloaf but this didn't need anything.

For sides I made two Bittman recipes: mashed potatoes with caramelized onions and mushrooms and broccoli with Parmesan. The potatoes are easy, just slice up some mushrooms and onions, and cook in a skillet until caramelized. Make the mashed potatoes anyway you like them and just stir the onions and mushrooms into the potatoes.

As for the broccoli, steam it up and then place on a cookie sheet with some butter and Parmesan cheese. Toss it in an oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. Really good stuff.

No comments: