Sunday, November 18, 2007

Pasta Carbonara

This is a dish I've made numerous times, it includes two of my favorite things: bacon and pasta. And yes, the real recipe calls for pancetta, which I have used, but in a pinch bacon works just as well.

I am always looking at different cabonara recipes. The recipe I read most recently is from Frank Crispo. This recipe differed from the traditional more than any I had ever seen. I've done a variation of it twice, last night most recently, and both times I've been pleased. About a month ago was my first attempt and I had some prosciutto to toss in as the recipe called for, though I just used bacon instead of the two types of pancetta. Neither time have I done the poached eggs. I want to try, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Last night I did a more or less basic version. Here's what you need:

1 pound whole wheat pasta (thin spaghetti)
7 slices of bacon (chopped into half inch pieces)
1 medium onion (diced)
1 TBLS garlic
1 cup of chicken stock
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup of grated romano
2 eggs beaten
Salt and pepper to taste

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta all dente.

Chop bacon and cook until crispy over medium high heat. Remove from pan and let drain. Leave a little bacon fat in the pan and brown onion. When it's just about brown toss in the garlic and cook for a couple of more minutes. Put bacon back in pan and pour chicken stock and cook down until reduced by half.

Mix up the grated cheese and eggs.

Toss pasta with chicken stock, bacon, onions and garlic. Remove from heat. Pour egg and cheese mixture over the pasta and the toss. Add salt and pepper to taste along with some extra grated cheese.

A nice easy meal with plenty of room for improvising.

No comments: