Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Will entrees go the way of the dodo?

Kim Severson's piece in the NY Times Wine and Dining section today intrigues me. It posits that the entree is headed for extinction. It makes me think about the first time I took my parents and sister for tapas at Cafe Iberico. They had never been and my mom and sister were big fans.

My dad hated it though. He's used to having a plate of food put in front of him and that's what he eats. He wasn't used to all this different stuff. we went to Iberico a couple of years later and he got pallea and enjoyed the experience much more.

But it makes me wonder if my generation will see the demise of the entree. According ti wikipedia I'm smack dab in the middle of Generation X. The Baby Boomers, which my dad is a part of, don't like the idea of the entree going away, but who knows what will happen in 15 or 20 years? Is Severson just identifying a temporary dining fad or is there something to it?

As for my buddy Bittman this week I have to wonder if he phoned this one in. Smoothies in December? Really? Maybe it's the fact that we got six-inches of snow here in Chicago yesterday and it's still snowing now but I'm kind of dumbfounded by his column this week. Give me a stew recipe or some soup. I just can't stop shaking my head.

No comments: