Thursday, January 3, 2008

Turkey soup


I had never made soup before. Ever since I started seriously cooking in the past year or so I've been wanting to try. I will also be trying to make my own stock soon.

I used the turkey carcass left over from this party. I originally thought about making a stock but after inspecting the bones I saw a lot of meat and decided to do some soup. Here's what I did:

6 carrots chopped
6 celery stalks chopped
1 onion chopped
1 clove of garlic chopped
Handful of fresh thyme
1 TBLSP olive oil
Turkey carcass
3 TBLSP dried sage
1 TSP rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pound of egg noodles

In a large stock pot sautée the chopped vegetables and spices in the oil for about five minutes. Add the turkey carcass and fill the stock pot with water to where it covers the turkey. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and let cook simmer for about two hours.

Remove the carcass and bones from the soup and let cool. Remove the rest of the meat from the bones and place back in the soup. Bring back to a boil and add the egg noodles. Cook until al dente and serve.

The one thing I would do differently next time is probably make this over two days. It was pretty greasy and I managed to skim a lot of it off, but it was a pain in the ass. I would probably make the basic soup, put it in the fridge skim the grease off the next day and then add the egg noodles.

This turned out really well. It was almost like a stew. The turkey did get a little stringy, but overall it was quite good.

No comments: