Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Bacon fat

I got the latest issue of Savuer in the mail today, which makes me sad because I won't be able to cook anything from it for awhile.

There was one particular article that resonated with me, cooking with bacon fat. Sadly, the article isn't posted online. It talked about how bacon fat was used by the poor in the south and frowned upon by others in the 1800s.

I'm guilty of using bacon fat probably a bit too often (hence the South Beach diet now). If I would cook up bacon in the morning and forget to clean my cast iron skillet I'm not above using some of that fat to cook whatever I may be making that evening. It adds a flavor like nothing other than duck fat.

If you have a chance pick up this issue of Savuer, it's a good one aimed at the home cook. I really enjoyed the article on essential pots and pans too.

No comments: