Monday, April 20, 2009

Frosting

I still consider myself new to the whole baking experience, but I'm getting the hang of it. The one area where I have had numerous issues though is frosting for cupcakes and cakes (ganache being the one expception but that's also idiot proof). I've probably tried to make half a dozen and every time I tossed them.

Well, it's Sarah's birthday Saturday and I was asked to bake. I'm going to make the double chocolate chip cookies with the sea salt and some red velvet cupcakes. My sister, a cupcake goddess, suggested I look at Paula Dean's recipe for red velvet cupcakes.

The recipe for the cupcakes seems pretty straightforward, though I am going to maake some of the substitutions recommended in the comments.

But then I looked at the recipe for the frosting and I was blown away. One pound of cream cheese, two sticks of butter and FOUR CUPS of powdered sugar. Holy crap, that's a lot of fat and sugar. When I was making frosting before I wasn't putting anywhere near that much powdered sugar in them, maybe that was my problem all along.

No comments: