Monday, May 18, 2009

Vanilla cupcakes

It was my buddy Ben's birthday this past weekend and he asked someone to make a cake. I obliged with some cupcakes.

I asked my sister, the cupcake queen, if she could recommend a yellow cupcake recipe and she referred to the Amy Sedaris recipe that I found on Epicurious. The only change I made was cooking them at 350 instead of 375 to avoid the "hockey puck" issue that was discussed in the comments.

I also did a ganache instead of butter cream. I'm a big fan of the ganache and it's a whole lot easier to work with than anything else.

9 ounces dark chocolate chips
1 cup of heavy cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon dark rum

Place cream in a saucepan over medium heat, add sugra and rum, mix until sugar is disolved. Bring to just about a boil and pour hot cream over chcolcate and whisk the two together until smooth.

Let cool for abot 30 to 45 minutes and dip the top of the cupcakes into the ganache and set aside.

Everybody at the party seemed to enjoy them. They were moist and had a good texture but not a lot of flavor, but then again yellow cake doesn't taste like a whole lot anyway.

No comments: