Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mmmmm, pork

So the last two times I've been to Dominck's I've noticed pork is on sale, or at least some pork is on sale for 99 cents a pound.

Last Friday I bought what was probably six or seven pounds of country ribs for and yesterday I bough a 4.5 pound pork shoulder roast. Now I know this isn't tenderloin and these cuts require a little bit more work, but it's worth it.

I took half the country ribs and froze them and with the other half I seared them and then cooked them in a basic tomato sauce: onions, garlic, oregano, thyme, red wine etc. Let them cook in the sauce for a few hours and then serve with some steamed brown rice.

I'm going to use a spice rub on the pork shoulder and slow cook it in the oven, probably 275-300 degrees for a few hours.

For $10 I'm getting four good meals, yeah, the cooking takes longer, but there's no reason it can't be done.

No comments: