Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tomatoes

Before roasting

There was a bumper crop of tomatoes at Ma and Pa Martin's farm this year so I brought home a good five to 10 pounds. I am not a fan of raw tomatoes so I decided I was going to roast them and then make a sauce.

I removed the stems, cut them in half and took out the seeds. I places them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and drizzled with salt, pepper, olive oil and balsamic. I placed them in a 250 degree oven for two and a half hours.

Just before I was getting ready to take them out of the oven I diced an onion, some celery, carrot and garlic and started to sautee over medium heat in a dutch oven with a some olive oil until clear.

After taking the tomatoes out of the oven they went right into the dutch oven. I mixed them up a bit, turned the heat down and covered for about 90 minutes. Then I took the stick blender and pureed everything together.

The result was a nice, rich marinara that had some deep flavors. I'm not sure if I'm going to serve it just some pasta or use it as a base for another sauce.

No comments: