Monday, September 14, 2009

Spinach and goat cheese tartlets

I'm not a big fan of making appetizers, unless it involves make one big portion of something and then simply cutting it down into smaller portions. It's often too much work for too little reward. But this Saturday I made an exception. Rory and I were having a few friends over before heading to a Joe and Sean's wedding and we wanted to make a couple of appetizers.

The Food Network magazine had this recipe for some spinach and goat cheese tartlets and they sounded too good to pass up. Also, since I had never worked with phyllo before I thought this was a good change to try something different.

The phyllo was as much of a pain in the ass as I feared. It was tearing and just not an easy material to work with. Luckily Rory was around to help me out, as she has prior experience. Still I manged to make the little cups and they turned out well.

The filling was also very good. Yes, it's a lot of ingredients but they have a nice deep, complex flavor. You could taste the lemon, the vinegar and the richness of the goat cheese and all it all lead to a satisfying bite.Rory also made her veggie pizza, her signature dish.

No comments: