Thursday, January 7, 2010

Brown Rice, chicken and mushroom casserole

We're going to get anywhere from six to 12 inches of snow in the next day or so in Chicago. After that the temps are going to plunge and we'll be enjoying some sub-zero wind chills.

Typically the only good thing about this type of weather is the food I want to cook. There's a reason the comfort food tag is one of the largest on this site. Casseroles and stews and some of my favorite things to make, but since we're trying to watch the diet once again I can't have free reign like I once did.

But I have found some health alternatives that can fill that need. I saw this chicken and rice recipe awhile back and have made it a couple of times and it's quite good, though I have made a few changes.

I don't use any cream and instead use no-fat sour cream. I have to say no-fat sour cream is pretty nasty stuff on its own but mixed in as an ingredient it works well.

I also substituted brown rice for the white rice. And because of this last part it takes about an hour to cook in the oven.

The results are a tasty and not-all-together unhealthy meal. Do I still want tuna casserole with velvetta, chicken and dumplings and other bad things, such as the beef stew with cheddar cobbler topping? Yes, but it's all about will power and maybe a cheat dinner at some point next month.

No comments: